Katidids

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It's learning to look past life's imperfections





Looking for knitting updates? Find them here!
Katidids Knits

Be sure and say Hi!

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Beans Beans The Magical Fruit

The more you eat the more you …wait!

Wrong kind of beans!

I’m talking Green Beans!  The blue lake bush kind.  We (My SIL Jessie & I)picked and processed green beans yesterday.  I think it was her first time from picking to looking at the pretty cooling jars fresh out of the pressure cooker. 

2013 greenbeans first canning

More blossoms are showing on the plants so I’m hoping for another harvest.  I also planted the Italian broad beans this year for my oldest daughter Danielle. She picked 2 full grocery bags worth & cried enough!  Blossoms are showing on those plans as well so I think we may just be sick of beans by end of canning season let alone this winter!

Cucumbers nearly got away from me…

2013cucumber and squash

We picked 16 and were able to re-home 3..so I need to get these processed. Not sure what relish recipe I’ll use but I want to try one from Erin

Be sure and pop over to check out her blog.  She and her husband have just purchased land to go off grid.  I can promise her posts will be a good read.I’ve been known to have coffee pass through my nostrils on a few LOL!

The garden is *cough* nearly under control.  OK, just over half..but I need to stay positive about it right?  Healthy weeds mean good soil and ours are growing well.  I’ve been having a morning & evening meeting with them. The potato bed is cleared and received a new layer of straw as well as the additional rows in the main garden, Some of the plants are showing blossoms forming so they are looking good.

  The peas planted in a shaded area are hanging on.  Very slow growing but the blossoms are turning to pods so I’m hoping they continue to produce.  Other than fresh out of the garden I love them dried.  Can’t stand cooked peas (say tuna and pea casserole & watch me gag!) so these will be dehydrated for general munching!

I watered the front flowerbed last night and realized what a sad state it was in.  I used to keep it so nice and now…it’s looking sad, neglected and full of weeds. I don’t have/take the time to care for it as I should so I’m thinking of making some changes there as well. More perennials that take less maintenance but give those pops of color I love. I need to get back in my routine of spending at least 15 minutes a day devoted to the flower beds.  It sure made a difference and they looked great. Someday I’ll grow up and get organized….

Well, morning comes early & I have a date with the canner.

Hope it’s staying cool where you are

Katie

13 comments:

  1. Blimey woman you're a flippin' machine! Putting me to shame you are. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do you want to grow up? It surely can't be as fun!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SFG>>Remember being a child and thinking you wanted to grow up fast so you could do what ever you wanted? Boy, were we stupid!

      Delete
  3. So can you send me some Relish? I love cucumber relish. Cucumbers are not in season here yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's on the list for tomorrow Sue. Wish I could send you a few!

      Delete
  4. Looks like you'll have plenty for winter the way you're going!! I know it's a lot of hard work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzan, the frustrating thing for me is waiting for the canner. I want it all done in one batch LOL!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. No worries...my sinus needed cleared anyway LOL!

      Delete
  6. I LOVE pressured canned green beans!! There is nothing better than opening a jar in the middle of winter. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie...did you put in a garden this year?

      Delete
  7. The beans look wonderful! I love seeing gleaming bottles of processed food. And the ping...love to listen for the lids to ping. :-) I will check out that blog you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for stopping in I love hearing from my bloggy friends!
Katie